3.04.2016

Vocab Chapter 1-2 / blog 40

claim(n.)
Mum asked one night when she’d got back from her job on the checkout at Khan’s and me and Dad were relaxing after a hard afternoon’s work out at the claim.
Definition: An assertion of a right (as to money or property).

wobbling(v.)
The noise of a car drove into our ears and a four-wheel-drive police jeep came wobbling down the creamy red track that leads to our claim.
Definition: An unsteady rocking motion.

startled(adv.)
My dad turned around, startled
Definition: shocked by sudden surprise.

figment(n.)
Kellyanne glared at me through tears the way she did the time I slammed the door of the ute in Dingan’s face or the time I walked over to where Pobby was supposed to be sitting and punched the air and kicked the air in the head to show Kellyanne that Pobby was a figment of her imaginings.
Definition: hallucination or illusion; things made up by imagination.

rummaged(v.)
He rummaged through piles of rocks.
Definition: a thorough search for something.

ute(n.)
One time he even took Kellyanne, Pobby and Dingan out to the Bore Baths in the ute.
Definition: a kind of vehicle.

crackpot(n.)
Lightning Ridge was full of flaming crackpots as far as I could see.
Definition: a crazy person; lunatic.

Mello Yello(n.)
I said, hiding my anger in a swig from my can of Mello Yello.
Definition: a kind of drink similar to sprite.

mates(n.)
“I still say Kellyanne could do with some real-live mates,” went on my dad, as if he was talking to someone inside his beer.
Definition: a friend/ partner.

opal(n.)
The secret of an opal’s color lies not in its substance but in its absences.
Definition: a type of precious stone.

fairdinkum(n.)
“Fairdinkum?”
Definition: a nice person.

imaginary(adj.)
Now, I was as much a rockhound as the next kid, but I wasn’t crazy enough to talk to imaginary friends, I’ll tell you that for nothing.
Definition: something that's not real and made up by imaginations

grub(n.)
She said they were quieter and better behaved than me and deserved the grub.
Definition: food

fossilized(adj.)
There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it. We’re close, boy.
Definition: become hard and form fossils

mammoth(n.)
There’s rumours going that Lucky Jes has taken out a million-dollar stone and a fossilized mammoth tooth with sun-flash in it. We’re close, boy.
Definition: extinct huge elephant 

For each word, write the sentence that it comes from, the part of speech, and the meaning as it is used in the sentence.

No comments:

Post a Comment