11.11.2015

Vocab Set 3 / blog 8

Vocabulary Set #3: write word, sentence it comes from, part of speech, definition -- due on your blog by Friday evening.
1. mannequin (n.)
A small, black velvet purse hung on the shoulder of the mannequin.
Definition: a dummy used to display clothes in a store window.
2. second-hand (adj.)
To save money, I had purchased second-hand textbooks from upperclassmen at a fraction of the original price, and I was careful not to use too many notebooks.
Definition: used by others.
3. animatedly (adv.)
Many of our classmates were there, with drinks in hand, talking animatedly.
Definition: full of excitement; lively.
4. faltered (v. past tense)
Flustered, I faltered, then hurriedly responded, "Yes, well, I had a good time, too. Good night."
Definition: start to lose strength or momentum.
5. impulsive (adj.)
She would acknowledge that I had done something impulsive, but would say that it was okay.
Definition: acting or done without forethought.
6. constrained (v. past tense)
But maybe that was why I had wanted to leave home for a while; I had always felt constrained there.
Definition: severely restrict the scope, extent, or activity of.
7. Gregorian chant (n.)
A Gregorian chant program is scheduled for June, and students will be coming from around the world.
Definition: a single vocal line church song in free rhythm and restricted scale.
8. pearl (n.)
The pearl necklace and wishbone pin would really stand out against the black velvet.
Definition: a hard object produced within the soft tissue (specifically the mantle) of a living shelled mollusk.
9. elope (v. present tense)
If it hadn't been for you, she said she might have eloped with Kyle.
Definition: run away secretly in order to get married.
10. taciturn (adj.)
I would write to each of my taciturn brothers, even though they had never written to me.
Definition: reserved or uncommunicative in speech; saying a little; shy.
11. sobbed (v. past tense)
I sat, buried my face in my hands, and sobbed.
Definition: cry noisily, making a loud sound.
12. pouch (n.)
In a silk pouch that Mother had made was her thin, white gold wedding band. I put it on and pictured the ring on Mother's hand.
Definition: a small flexible bag.
13. listlessly (adj.)
As I stared forward listlessly, little Sarah snuggled up against me, and whispered into my ear, "I love you, Sookan."
Definition: lacking energy or enthusiasm.
14. hymn (n.)
I was comforted by their high-pitched hymns reverberating in the domed chapel.
Definition: a religious song/poem, typically of phrase to god or a god.
15. fainted(v. past tense)
She had fainted, and they found out it was a cerebral hemorrhage.
Definition: losing consciousness; pass out.

No comments:

Post a Comment