10.27.2015

Informal Writing- compare your experience with Sookan's when first arrive America / blog 4

 It was the summer of 2013, I went on a summer camp to America with my school; the people attending were two teachers, who could speak fluent English, and fourteen students, whose ability varies. We were living at St. Georges School in Rhode Island, which was one of the best school there. The language policy was really strict there; our teacher did not allow us to speak in Chinese, and if we did, they will put a marble into a cup which had our names on it. The person who gets the most marbles would be punished, and the person who gets the least marbles would be awarded. In the first few days, I tried my best not to speak Chinese, even when I couldn't express something with my words, I would gesticulate to make people understand. My English improved a lot during these days; but it was so differet later on. I saw other people playing around with the language policy; some people spoke Chinese whenever the teacher was not around. They didn't get marbles, some of them were even awarded. I started speaking in Chinese by a little bit everyday; and the percentage of Chinese speaking grew and grew. At the last few days my English did not improve as much as the first few days, and I feel really regretful when I look back.
Comparing to Sookan, even if there is no language policy for her, she still can not speak Korean in her daily life because Sookan is possibly the only Kroean in her College, so she has nobody to speak Korean to. She has to study English both for her scholarship and learning because her family is poor and they need her to earn money for maintaining the family's income in the future. Unlike Sookan, I was born in a well-off family; I don't have to worry about any financial issues, and I even have plenty to spend every month. These may probably be the differences of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment